We all know that Kuhli Loach is a friendly fish and they can adapt well to any environment, which means their potential to be alive is so high. Hence, as a freshwater fish, how long do Kuhli Loach fish live?
Moreover, can you answer the question of what Kuhli Loach’s lifespan is? If not, this article is for you. GA Pet Sitters will show you how long Kuhli Loach fish can live and we also give you a hand to help your fish live longer. Let’s take a look!
- 1 Kuhli Loach Origins
- 2 How Big Do Kuhli Loaches Grow?
- 3 Kuhli Loach Care
- 4 How Long Do Kuhli Loach Fish Live?
- 5 What Can Shorten The Lifespan Of A Kuhli Loach?
- 6 How Can You Improve Your Kuhli Loaches’ Lifespan?
- 7 Conclusion: How Long Do Kuhli Loach Fish Live?
Kuhli Loach Origins
Kuhli Loach, or Pangio Kuhlii in the scientific name, originates from Southeast Asia. You can easily find it in Sumatra, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, and Borneo. However, to be honest, this fish’s hometown is Borneo.
Moreover, although Kuhli Loach is not schooling fish, they can live well with other tank mates – unaggressive fish species, or even in a group of 5-6 Kuhli Loaches. So, it is so easy for people to keep it as a lovely pet.
How Big Do Kuhli Loaches Grow?
An adult Kuhli Loach can be 5 inches in maximum length. Normally, their length will be 3 or 4 inches when living in aquariums. To help them get the maximum size, you should take care of them carefully and create a suitable environment for them to thrive. So, how to take care of them right? Please refer to the content below to know more!
Kuhli Loach Care
Although Kuhli Loach can adapt to many environments and can thrive very well and quickly, it will be easy to get sick or jump out of the tank if the environment does not fit them. Moreover, they are quite sensitive, so they can realize many problems even the smallest changes.
Hence, how to take care of them? To help them grow and be healthy, you should ensure the nutrition of their food as well as create the best environment for them including a well-balanced water temperature and hiding pots. Let’s take a look to get more detailed information!
What Do Kuhli Loaches Eat?
First of all, food is extremely important to any animal in this world. So, you should know what Kuhli Loaches will eat to provide nutrition for them to grow and be healthy.
Kuhli Loach loves eating meaty food. So, the best food type for them is bloodworms or brine shrimp. Besides, they also can eat algae tablets, frozen foods, or live daphnia. Nevertheless, meaty foods are always better for Kuhli Loach to thrive.
Moreover, you should pay attention to their habits to feeding them because Kuhli Loach tends to go out and search for food at the bottom of an aquarium at night. In addition, you should not overfeed them, just give them enough amount of food. And the ideal time to feed them is two or three times per week.
- What To Do With An Escape Kuhli Loach? – Best 5 Steps For You
- How To Care For Kuhli Loach? – Best Care Guide For Kuhli Loaches
- How To Tell If A Kuhli Loach Is Pregnant? – Best Ways For You
Water Temperature & Requirements
Another important factor directly affecting Kuhli Loach’s health and life is water parameters, especially water temperature. You should notice and observe the temperature of water frequently. If there is any problem, you can deal with it immediately.
The suitable temperature for Kuhli Loach is betưeen 73°F tp 86°F, which means that it is from 23°C to 30°C. Moreover, the ideal pH level for them ranges from 5 pH 5 to 6.5 pH. The hardness will be 0–5 dGH.
If the water temperature is too hot, they can easily face disease and lose the ability to control their body. Hence, they cannot swim normally. In contrast, when Kuhli Loaches live in cold water, they will be too active and energetic. They also cannot control their behavior and swim in circles or even can jump out of the tank.
Thus, you should buy an aquarium heater and install it for your aquarium to maintain the temperature in the tank. Plus, it can be easier to take care of Kuhli Loaches.
The suitable tank size for Kuhli Loach is at least 20 gallons. However, if you keep about 6 Kuhli Loach and you want to create a more spacious habitat for them, you can choose a 40-gallon tank.
How Long Do Kuhli Loach Fish Live?
A Kuhli Loach will be able to live up from 10 to 14 years if the environment and living conditions are good. In general, the average lifespan of Kuhli Loach is 10 years when living in an artificial environment like aquariums. However, Kuhli Loach can live longer in the wild, up to 14 years.
What Can Shorten The Lifespan Of A Kuhli Loach?
The lifespan of Kuhli Loach can be affected by several factors such as water conditions, tank mates, or disease. And, somehow, if these factors create bad influences, your Kuhli Loach’s lifespan will be shortened.
The main reason that can shorten Kuhli Loach’s lifespan is water quality. When your fish live in an environment with bad quality of water, they can be under stress and get diseases such as bladder disease.
Besides, the lifespan of female Kuhli Loaches can be shorter than their male Kuhli Loach pioneers because of the pregnancy period. Female Kuhli Loaches will scatter hundreds of eggs, which affects their lifespan.
Moreover, let’s notice the tank mates! If you keep your Kuhli Loach with bullying tank mates, they can fight each other. Because Kuhli Loach has a small size and their nature is friendly and kind, it is really hard for them to win strong and flexible tank mates. Hence, keep them separate because your Kuhli Loach can be hurt or even died from the fights!
- How To Tell The Gender Of A Kuhli Loach? – Best 3 Tips For You
- Why Is My Kuhli Loach Swimming Up And Down? – What Is The Best For Kuhli Loach?
- Why Is My Kuhli Loach Turning White? – Best Solutions For Your Fish
How Can You Improve Your Kuhli Loaches’ Lifespan?
So, do you know how to help Kuhli Loach improve their life span? If you want to help them live longer, the first thing you should do is to prepare the best environment for them. Then, they can live happily with a strong brain and healthy life. Moreover, please refer to the content below to get more solutions:
- At first, you should avoid overcrowding the tank with too many fish types. For Kuhli Loach, the suitable tank size is 20 gallons. Moreover, Kuhli Loach loves living with a group of 5 or 6 members at the same time. So, although Kuhli Loach is not schoolings fish, they will grow better when living in a group. They cannot stand to live alone and easily get depression.
- Secondly, you should not keep Kuhli Loaches living in the same environment with territorial or aggressive tankmates. They can fight and your Kuhli Loaches will be hurt. Moreover, your Kuhli Loach is able to suffer depression and find a place to hide for a long time.
- Thirdly, water parameters are very important to maintain the water temperature as well as pH level. Remember to check the temperature regularly. The ideal temperature ranges from 73°F to 86°F (between 22.7°C and 30°C). Besides, the water pH of around 6.0 and 7.0 is suitable for them to thrive.
- Next, remember to provide them with soft substrates. For example, as bottom-dwellers, Kuhli Loach requires an aquarium containing sands and fine gravel to hide.
- Finally, let’s notice their eating daily routine. The owners should feed Kuhli Loach two or three times a day to ensure they have a healthy diet and grow better.
Conclusion: How Long Do Kuhli Loach Fish Live?
To sum up, the lifespan of Kuhli Loach can depend on so many aspects. However, the environment will play a key role in affecting Kuhli Loaches’ life. You should create the best habitat for them to increase their lifespan. This article is the perfect answer to the question “How Long Do Kuhli Loach Fish Live?“. We hope you will have a nice time with your fish and enjoy every moment of being beside your adorable Kuhli Loaches.