GNPP STANDARDS OF EXCELLENCE
Pet care is our passion.
Recommended Quality Standards for Excellence in Pet Sitting:
- The sitter is bonded, insured and a member of a professional organization.
- The sitter provides references.
- The sitter has experience in caring for pets and is clearly mindful of their safety and well being.
- The sitter visits the client’s home before the first pet sitting assignment to meet the pets and get detailed information about their care.
- The sitter shows a positive attitude during the initial meeting and seems comfortable and competent in dealing with the animals.
- The sitter wants to learn as much as possible about the animals in his or her care.
- The sitter provides a service contract which specifies services and fees.
- The sitter is courteous, interested and well informed.
- The sitter takes precautions to make sure a client’s absence from home is not detected because of any careless actions or disclosures by the sitter.
- The sitter conducts business with honesty and integrity and observes all federal, state, and local laws pertaining to business operations and animal care.
- The sitter has a veterinarian on call for emergency service.
- The sitter has a contingency plan for pet care in case of inclement weather or personal illness.
- The sitter service screens applicants for employment carefully.
- The sitter calls to confirm or has the client call to confirm that the client has returned home.
- The sitter refrains from criticizing competitors.
- The sitting service provides initial and ongoing training for its sitters.
- The sitter exhibits courtesy and professionalism in all dealings with staff, customers and industry colleagues so as to present the petsitter and the pet sitting industry positively.
- The sitter is knowledgeable, responsive, caring, honest, responsible and strives for professional excellence within the pet care industry.